As you already might have heard…Hothlanta 2.1 is upon us. Chances are there won’t be a dead tauntaun to take shelter in, so here at Scoutmob we’re offering up some suggestions in order to help you brave the storm.
How To Survive Hothlanta Like a True Scout:
1. Water. We suggest letting your pipes drip a bit (your landlord will thank us.) If they freeze anyway – at least there will be snow outside to melt. No need to go full Waterworld.
2. Provisions. Time to stack up on the snacks. That way if your go-to taco joint has closed down due to the weather, you’re not in a pickle (or pickle-less, for that matter). Don’t feel like throwing your ‘bows out at the crows in the big box stores? Mosey on down to your local grocer to stock up on supplies instead. Our personal favorites? Small-town grocers like Little’s, Savi, Candler Park Market and Sevananda. Which leads us to our next item…
3. Beer. Perhaps the most essential item on this survival list to have. Beer will be your closest friend and confidant through your struggle to survive the punishment that the snow will most surely dish out on your psyche. Also, in a dire survival situation, can be used as a bartering tool. Stockpile some of your favorite brews from these Atlanta local breweries such as Monday Night Brewing, Three Taverns or Sweetwater.
4. Batteries. You know, in case the power goes out – you’ll need that flashlight (to find your beer). Also handy for when you rediscover that Gameboy you’ve been holding onto for way too long.
5. First-Aid kit. This just seems obvious.
6. Kitty Litter. Lots of it. No, we didn’t turn into cat-hoarders. Though many a person may refer you to salt or sand to melt down slippery ice, kitty litter does the trick just as well (and there’s a bit less of a frenzy for it at the grocery).
7. Blankets. When the going gets tough the tough get blanket-forting. FACT: A blanket fort may or may not be recommended by the Red Cross as the most efficient way to keep warm during a winter storm. We recommend it simply because blanket forts are the best. (Also, the user experience with the aforementioned Gameboy improves by 110% when shrouded within one.)
8. Space heater. Pro-tip: As tempting as it may be, don’t bring the space heater into the blanket fort. Trust us.
9. Cell phone and charger. Incase of emergency you will need to call 911. Incase the beer runs out; you will need to call a friend.
10. Entertainment. Now that we’re good and hunkered down with proper supplies, boredom will be our only challenge. Whilst we weather the storm we suggest either: wintry films or shows with 3+ seasons. Movies that come to mind include: The Shining (Amazon Streaming), The Day After Tomorrow (Amazon Streaming),
Fargo (Netflix) , Groundhog Day (Netflix), The Empire Strikes Back (If you don’t have this on DVD…for shame)
Television shows to consider: Sherlock (BBC) , Breaking Bad, Archer, Battlestar Galactica , Parks And Recreation, Doctor Who, The Walking Dead